Welcome to Rick Rabiser’s Homepage
Welcome to Rick Rabiser’s Homepage
Univ.-Prof. Mag. Dr. (CV)
Professor for Software Engineering in Cyber-Physical Systems,
Head of the Cyber-Physical Systems Lab,
Head of the Christian Doppler Lab VaSiCS,
JKU-Head of the JKU/Dynatrace Co-Innovation Lab,
Linz Institute of Technology,
Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria,
Altenberger Strasse 69, A-4040 Linz, Austria
Phone: +43 732 2468 4363
Administrative Assistant: Ursula Schwarzgruber
Phone: +43 732 2468 9494
Office: LIT Open Innovation Center (ground floor)
Together with Prof. Manuel Wimmer, I am General Chair of the Software Engineering 2024 Conference. Die jährlich stattfindende Tagung Software Engineering (SE) des Fachbereichs Softwaretechnik der Gesellschaft für Informatik dient als Plattform für den Austausch von Erfahrungen und Erkenntnissen aus dem Bereich der Softwaretechnik. Die Tagung richtet sich sowohl an Softwareentwickler und Softwareentwicklerinnen aus der Praxis, als auch an Forscherinnen und Forscher aus dem akademischen Umfeld. Das wissenschaftliche Hauptprogramm wird sich wieder aus Vorträgen zu bereits publizierten Artikeln in renommierten internationalen Journalen oder Konferenzen zusammensetzen. Damit bieten wir sozusagen ein “Best of” der Publikationen der Forschergruppen im deutschsprachigen Raum. Wir tragen damit zum wissenschaftlichen Diskurs bei und erhöhen die Sichtbarkeit der Beiträge.
Information for Students
I have no explicit office hours, but if you need anything, e.g., information on the courses I teach or about available projects, Bachelor’s theses, and Master’s theses, or just want to chat, do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail at any time and we will arrange an appointment. Information on courses is available in KUSSS.
I’m interested in Software Engineering (research), especially on:
- Variability Modeling/Management and Software Product Lines
- Software Architecture (Quality) and Modularization
- Software Reuse
- Software Maintenance and Software Evolution
- Real-World Case Studies (with Industry and Open Source Systems)
- Industry-Academia Collaboration
- Usability Studies (of (Software) Engineering Tools)
- SE in Cyber-Physical (Production) Systems
- Distributed Software Architectures and Handling of Data
- Systematic Literature Studies and Building Bodies of Knowledge
I’m an expert in Software Engineering (research), especially in:
- Systems and Software Product Lines
- Variability Modeling and Management
- (User-Centered) Product Configuration/Derivation
- (Systematic) Literature Studies and Surveys
- Usability Studies/User Studies
- Industry-Academia Collaboration and Case Studies
- Monitoring of Software(-intensive) Systems
- Domain-Specific Languages
- Software Architectures/Design and Modularization
- SE in Cyber-Physical (Production) Systems
- Algorithms and Data Structures
- Object-oriented Programming/Design
- Requirements Engineering
Word Cloud of my publication titles
(also see Current Work)
Christian Doppler Laboratory for Mastering Variability in Software-Intensive Cyber-Physical Production Systems (CDL VaSiCS)
- Feb 2021 to Jan 2028
- Partners: Primetals Technologies Austria GmbH
- Staff: 8+
- The CD Lab aims to conduct applied basic research focusing on methodological support for mastering variability in Software-Intensive Cyber-Physical Production Systems (CPPS).
- CDL VaSiCS
- Current Work
JKU/Dynatrace Co-Innovation Lab
- Feb 2021 to Dec 2024
- Partners: JKU, Dynatrace Austria
- Staff: Rick Rabiser, 2 Post-docs (full time, for two years)
- JKU Projects: Co-Innovation Lab, LIT CPS Lab (SECPS Group)
- The aim of this lab is to perform trans-disciplinary, original scientific research between industry and academia on recent computer science topics, particularly from the areas of software engineering, artificial intelligence, and data science.
- Co-Innovation Lab
- Dynatrace Research
Software Engineering in Cyber-Physical Production Systems
- Feb 2021-...
- Partners: JKU, TU München, Universität Stuttgart, TU Wien, and many more
- Community: 50+
- The workshop series and community on Software Engineering in Cyber-Physical Production Systems (SECPPS) aims to discuss new approaches and methods for the design of software for use in the production systems domain, which follows the latest trends from the software engineering domain. Additionally, the workshop will address the challenges in adopting state-of-the-art software engineering tools and techniques to the automation domain and discuss various approaches to tackle the issues. Particularly, we are currently facing a dramatically increasing complexity in the development and operation of systems with the emergence of Cyber-Physical Production Systems (CPPS). This demands for more comprehensive and systematic views on all aspects of systems (e.g., mechanics, electronics, software, and network) not only in the engineering process, but in the operation process as well. Moreover, flexible approaches are needed to adapt the systems’ behavior to ever-changing requirements and tasks, unexpected conditions, as well as structural transformations.
- SECPPS Homepage
- My DBLP Profile
- My Google Scholar Profile
- My researchr Profile
- My ResearchGate Profile
- My Scopus Profile
- Semantic Scholar
- JKU FODOK
- Euromicro DSD/SEAA Facebook Page
- Euromicro Twitter Account
As a member of the steering, organizing, program (and/or other) committees for these events I cordially invite you to submit your research to:
- VaMoS 2024, Feb 7-9, Bern, Switzerland.
- Software Engineering 2024, Feb 26-Mar1, Linz, Austria.
- ICSR 2024, June 10-12 2024, Limassol, Cyprus.
Services for Research Communities
(only recent, please refer to my CV for the full list)
Steering Committee Memberships
- (2014-2023) Euromicro SEAA conferences
Program Committee Memberships (only last 5 years)
SWQD 2019, VaMoS 2019, VSPLE Track@SAC 2019, SEsCPS@ICSE 2019, SEKE 2019, SPLC 2019, MODEVAR@SPLC 2019, WEESR@SPLC 2019, SASI4@ECSA 2019, Workshop on Configuration 2019, SBES@CBSOFT 2019, Software Quality Days 2020, VaMoS 2020, SPLC 2020 (Research Track), SPLC 2020 Doctoral Symposium, VariVolution@SPLC 2020, Workshop on Configuration 2020, SASI4@ECSA 2020, Software Quality Days 2021, VaMoS 2021, SE 2021, ACM Student Research Competition at ICSE 2021, SEKE 2021, INDIN 2021, SPLC 2021, VM4ModernTech@SPLC 2021, VariVolution@SPLC 2021, WEESR@SPLC 2021, MODEVAR@SPLC 2021, SWQD 2022, VaMoS 2022, SE 2022, SEKE 2022, SPLC 2022 Doctoral Symposium, SPLC 2022, MoPro’22@Modellierung’22, TD4ViS@SPLC 2022, VariVolution@SPLC 2022, MODEVAR@SPLC 2022, SASI4@ETFA 2022, VaMoS 2023, SEUH 2023, SEKE 2023, INDIN 2023, SPLC 2023, ETFA 2023, VaMoS 2024
Organizing Committee Memberships (only last 5 years)
- Euromicro SEAA 2019 -- SPPI Track Co-Chair (with Dietmar Winkler and Stefan Biffl)
- SPLC 2019 -- Demonstrations and Tools Chair (with Leopoldo Teixeira)
- SPLTea 2019 (Workshop@SPLC 2019) -- OC Co-Chair
- MODEVAR 2019 (Workshop@SPLC 2019), OC Co-Chair
- MODEVAR 2020 (Workshop@VaMoS 2020), OC Co-Chair
- SE 2020 -- PC Chair (with Willi Hasselbring)
- Euromicro SEAA 2020 -- SPPI Track Co-Chair (with Dietmar Winkler and Stefan Biffl)
- MODEVAR 2020 (Workshop@SPLC 2020), OC Co-Chair
- Euromicro SEAA 2021 -- SPPI Track Co-Chair (with Dietmar Winkler and Stefan Biffl)
- SPLC 2021 Doctoral Symposium Co-Chair (with Mahsa Varshosaz)
- Euromicro SEAA 2022 -- SPPI Track Co-Chair (with Dietmar Winkler and Stefan Biffl)
- Euromicro SEAA 2023 -- SPPI Track Co-Chair (with Dietmar Winkler and Stefan Biffl)
- SE 2024 -- General Co-Chair (with Manuel Wimmer)
- Euromicro SEAA 2024 -- SPPI Track Co-Chair (with Dietmar Winkler and Stefan Biffl)
Reviewer for Journals and Magazines
Information and Software Technology (IST), Journal of Systems and Software (JSS), Empirical Software Engineering (EMSE), Data and Knowledge Engineering (DKE), Science of Computer Programming (SCP), IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE), Software Quality Journal (SQJ), Journal of Software: Evolution and Process, Software and Systems Modeling (SoSyM), IEEE Software, IEEE Transactions on Service Computing (TSC), Computer Languages, Systems and Structures (COMLAN), ACM Computing Surveys, Journal of Universal Computer Science (Special Issue on Knowledge-based Configuration), ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM), Springer Computing (COMP)
(Guest) Editor for Special Sections/Issues in Journals
- International Journal on Software Tools for Technology Transfer (STTT), Special Section on Software Diversity - Modeling, Analysis and Evolution, Editors: Ina Schaefer, Rick Rabiser, Dave Clarke, Springer, 2011/2012.
- Information and Software Technology, Special Section on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications, Editors: Rick Rabiser and Richard Torkar, Elsevier, 2014/2015.
- Journal of Systems and Software, Special Issue on Quality Engineering and Management of Software-Intensive Systems, Editors: Michael Felderer, Helena Holmström Olsson, Rick Rabiser, Elsevier, 2017/2018.
- Journal of Systems and Software Most Cited Article from 2010 for "Dhungana, D., Grünbacher, P., Rabiser, R., Neumayer, T.: Structuring the Modeling Space and Supporting Evolution in Software Product Line Engineering. The Journal of Systems and Software, 83(7), pp.1108-1122, 2010"
- Information and Software Technology Most Cited Article from 2010 for "Rabiser, R., Grünbacher, P., Dhungana, D.: Requirements for Product Derivation Support: Results from a Systematic Literature Review and an Expert Survey. Information and Software Technology, vol. 52(3), pp. 324-346, 2010"
- Best Paper Award at WICSA 2014 for "Vierhauser, M., Rabiser, R., Grünbacher, P., Danner, C., Wallner, S., Zeisel, H.: A Flexible Framework for Runtime Monitoring of System-of-Systems Architectures, Proceedings of the 11th Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA 2014), Sydney, Australia, April 7-11, 2014, IEEE, pp. 57-66.”
- In an article analyzing 20 years of research on Software Product Lines I was recognized as one of the 15 most prolific researchers in the field. The article was published in 2016 the Information and Software Technology Journal.
- Journal of Systems and Software Outstanding Reviewer Award (November 2016), i.e., within the top 10th percentile of reviewers for the Journal, in terms of the number of manuscript reviews completed 2014-2016.
- Information and Software Technology Outstanding Reviewer Award (December 2016), i.e., within the top 10th percentile of reviewers for the Journal, in terms of the number of manuscript reviews completed 2014-2016.
- Journal of Software and Systems Modeling Reviewer Recognition (March 2017).
- IEEE Software Reviewer Recognition (“Certificate of Appreciation”) (May 2018)
- Journal of Systems and Software Outstanding Reviewer Award (June 2018), i.e., within the top 10th percentile of reviewers for the Journal, in terms of the number of manuscript reviews completed 2017-2018.
- Distinguished Reviewer Award (September 2018) at SPLC 2018 (22nd International Systems and Software Product Line Conference, Sept 10-14, Gothenburg, Sweden).
- JKU Work Abroad Photo Contest First Prize (October 2018) at Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria, for the Photo “Tower of Knowledge” made inside Prague Municipal Library while attending the Euromicro SEAA 2018 conference
- Journal of Software Practice and Experience Distinguished Referee 2018 ("These referees gave outstanding service to the journal based on the criteria of quality, timeliness, and volume of reviews.")
- Empirical Software Engineering Journal Reviewer Recognition for 2018 (Jan 2019)
- Outstanding Reviewer Award at SBES 2019 (Brazilian Symposium on Software Engineering, Sept 23-27, 2019, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil): “awarded to reviewers who submitted outstanding quality reviews to SBES”.
- Listed as one of the key researchers in Austrian computer science in the 2019 CWTS Bibliometric Report "Bibliometric analysis of the Austrian computer science research (2000-2017)" (www.wissenschaftsrat.ac.at).
- Journal of Software and Systems Modeling Reviewer Recognition (Jan 2019).
- Empirical Software Engineering Journal Reviewer Recognition for 2019 (Jan 2020)
- Journal of Software: Evolution and Process Reviewer Recognition for 2019 (Feb 2020)
- Journal of Systems and Software Most Cited Article since 2017 (Aug 2020) for R. Rabiser, S. Guinea, M. Vierhauser, L. Baresi, and P. Grünbacher: A Comparison Framework for Runtime Monitoring Approaches. Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 125, pp. 309-321, 2017.
- VaMoS Most Influential Paper Award (Feb 2022) for K. Czarnecki, P. Grünbacher, R. Rabiser, K. Schmid, and A. Wasowski: Cool Features and Tough Decisions: A Comparison of Variability Modeling Approaches. Proc. of the 6th International Workshop on Variability Modeling of Software-Intensive Systems (VaMoS 2012), ACM, 2012, pp. 173-182.
- Nominated (by my team) for the LExA Leadership Excellence Award in Research 2023 (Sept 2023)
- Speaker for University Professors at the Faculty of Engineering & Natural Sciences
- JKU Young Computer Scientists -- Program Manager
- SPLC Hall of Fame (more information) Judge
- Professional Member of ACM
- Member of Euromicro
- Member of the Euromicro Board of Directors